Raleigh, North Carolina
April 20, 2021
Mainframe Specialist - Expert (648362)
About The Opportunity
Mainframe Specialist required for a six month contract. The specialist will primarily be working with Cobol interfacing with Oracle for the new system.
- ***The candidate will be required to work onsite in Raleigh, NC. Some remote work may be allowed, but the candidate needs to work onsite or remotely from Raleigh, NC so that he/she can be onsite as required.
- ***The candidate will be required to come onsite the first day to collect equipment. Mainframe Expert Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
- The Technology Services Division provides comprehensive Information Technology (IT) portfolio management to agency business units. The division develops appropriate synergies and support to business units to provide service quality, strategic planning, and guidance on technology systems and related initiatives. Additionally, the division is responsible for supporting, developing, and enhancing the operational systems that are directly assigned to the business units of the organization within the Department of Public Instruction (DPI). The division manages and supports IT services assigned to the unit and works in coordination with DPI business units while adhering to supporting standards and procedures developed by the agency and the Department of Information Technology (DlT) related to system development, procurement, and oversight. The coordination extends to DPI internal customers as well as Public School Units (PSUs) that use these services.
- The IT Financial Systems team within Technology Services is responsible for supporting School Business Division, Financial Services Division and Teacher Licensure section at DPI. Team members are responsible for support and development of financial applications and reporting data present in those systems, vendor relations with PSU’s financial vendors and DPI Licensure System support. The IT Financial Systems team collaborates closely with other areas within Technology Services, and other State agencies such as Department of Information Technology (DIT), Office of State Controller (OSC), and Department of State Treasurer (DST). Services and products managed by this team include MSA General Ledger, PSUs Cash Management Request System, PSUs Budgeting and allotment systems, NC Salary Compliance System, NC Teacher Licensure System, and other various financial reporting and collection systems essential to achieve department goals. Primary Purpose of the Position:
- The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a COBOL mainframe technical and analytical subject matter expert to develop, design, and/or support current IT financial applications such as mainframe and oracle applications for the business, research, and/or instructional functions of clients. The expert will be mainly working with Cobol but there will be some integration into Oracle since the new system is written in Oracle. This role partners with business systems analysts, business relationship managers and process engineers to gather requirements and design applications systems within the data architecture established for the State. This is technical work with large sophisticated applications and the management of application system implementation projects. This role works with upper level management to define and design financial and business applications to meet the automation requirements of the agency. This position reports to the IT Financial Systems Manager. Other duties as assigned. 55% IT Financial Systems Management
- Serve as IT financial business owner to ensure that assigned services, products, and systems are operational, maintained, and secured in a manner that supports business goals
- Ensure service, product, and system architecture and security deliverables are produced on time
- Manage assigned initiatives in a manner consistent with accepted agency practices as defined in agency standards and methodologies
- Manage vendors to ensure assigned services, systems, and products meet identified customer needs
- Manage contracts; including service level agreements (SLAs) and contractors’ work
- Manage timelines, resources, and personnel for new and/or ongoing initiatives
- Oversee all phases of assigned service, product, and system development lifecycles
- Leverage appropriate metrics to weigh budget needs and recommend priorities based on program mission, costs, and projected revenues 35% Customer Relations Management/Strategic Consulting and Planning
- Understand and leverage organization units to meet the needs of IT service stakeholders
- Ensure customer satisfaction with agency IT services
- Establish and manage a clear communication strategy with all IT service stakeholders
- Consult with other sections within Technology Services to enhance service delivery 10% Technology Services Business Management
- Aid in identifying and implementing standard IT products and services based upon IT service stakeholder needs
- Assist with proactively identifying and implementing best practices
- Provide input for agency budgeting and planning activities
- Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required in this Position:
- Thorough knowledge of and experience implementing the concepts involved in systems analysis, including conceptual design, feasibility studies, work process evaluation, cost assessments for development, implementation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of specialized computer programming languages; and of coding processes and security measures.
- Ability to evaluate and analyze existing financial applications such as mainframe and oracle and define problems effectively in order to make recommendations; accurately identify business needs and process improvements.
- Ability as required to review and translate specifications to write programs to produce desired results; to develop and use appropriate testing protocols; and to use and interpret technical manuals and publications.
- Knowledge of specific agency functions and business needs; of changes in computer technology and specific applications systems; and of laws, rules and regulations affecting the business needs of the organization.
- Ability as required to review and analyze user requests and other information and design appropriate programs and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to perform a wide range of programming and analysis work and to work independently.
- Strong communication skills to interact with operations team members, production, support, implementation, infrastructure, and development teams.
Please Contact me to discuss the hiring process!
Sr. Executive Recruiter
Contact: (310) 929-8421 Ext: 103
Hi! My name is Vomsi Kumar. Helping consultants with getting their desired job is what makes me feel alive. I build a unique relationship with each of my consultants and work on their profile as per their needs. I believe that my consultants are my assets and this motivates me to serve them in an even better manner. Hence, I work towards the success of every consultant I work with.