May 28, 2020
Civil Construction Engineer
About The Opportunity
Note: Local and GC or Citizen candidates preferred.
- Background: MSA Field Execution (Construction Services) is responsible for executing reliability construction projects and assigned construction tasks funded by functional area organizations.
- The following core tasks, and other specific assignments from Field Execution (Construction Services), include:
- Develop Construction Plans - CE’s manage the constructability from planning through construction. They evaluate structural, electrical, and mechanical condition of each project as the work proceeds. CE’s review all drawings and designs before they are implemented. They plan personnel flows and decide how other contractors and subcontractors will support ongoing field execution.
- Support Engineering Processes - CE’s are construction subject-matter experts that complete routine tests and inspections to make sure that all project requirements are followed. The CE team is staffed with a variety of skill sets and experience so that the CE’s are able to work together to provide the required resources to accomplish the requirements of each project. When required, the CE will reach back to the Design Authority (DA) and specific design engineers in the organization to validate requirements and objectives for specific projects.
- Construction Project Management - CE’s bring specific knowledge to construction projects, such as change management, cost control, cost accounting, and management of project schedules. They track, monitor, and provide performance evaluations, while keeping the field execution on track. When needed, they facilitate discussions and create solutions between construction contractors and construction managers. It is their responsibility to eliminate disagreements in the field and misunderstandings about expected work outcomes working with the Construction Manager. They keep an up-to-date understanding of all contract terms to prevent project delays and actively drive projects to completion.
- Draft Technical Support Documents - Keeping up-to-date logs, estimates, change orders, vendor forms, and surveys with different software is a key role of construction engineers. With documentation, they identify and spot technical problems in the construction process. If necessary, making sure that the Subcontractor is securing more materials to keep construction going to meet the planned execution schedule.
- Communicate with Team Leadership - Weekly meetings with the Construction Manager and all parties involved in a construction project are common for CE’s. Part of their job is to provide necessary status updates and respond to questions from contractors, clients, and their own company leadership. CE’s will provide project reports on a regular basis to the Construction Manager, providing accurate data on progress, problems, and support required for specific projects. Qualification:
- Civil construction engineers need strong analytical and leadership skills to solve technical engineering challenges while helping manage a construction project. The position requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline (experience and demonstrated competence may be considered in lieu of a formal degree) and the following skill sets:
- Construction Management – perform various construction management duties, such as budget management, scheduling, material procurement, and labor planning.
- Engineering – Use technical engineering skills based in math and physics to predict future problems and find solutions for them.
- Project Management – understanding of the critical path necessary for a project to get done and formulate plans to make it happen. People at all levels look to them for guidance.
- Leadership – interpersonal skills are essential to work with the project team and successfully influence the outcomes of construction projects.
- Creativity – use of innovation and experience to improve solutions.
- Planning Skills – application of scheduling software and interaction with the subcontractor about project progress and milestones is an essential skill for construction engineers to execute their responsibilities well.
- Communication Skills – good verbal and written communication skills are important for because they must submit reports and share vital information in a clear, concise manner. Tools of the Trade:
- Construction engineers must be experienced using the following tools and equipment in a typical workday:
- Project scheduling software such as MS Projects or Primavera.
- MS Excel, Word, Visio and common office productivity software.
- Calculator, Excel, and “MathCad” software to accomplish computational tasks.
- Operate a motor vehicle on paved and unpaved roads to visit construction sites to perform physical inspections and interaction with construction forces.
- Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management.
- Ten (10) years or more experience in construction and/or project design engineering in a specific discipline.
- Demonstrated experience of monitoring subcontractor field progress.
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret drawings and specifications.
- Working knowledge of all phases of construction.
- Experience working with Building Trades craft and construction subcontractors.
- Demonstrated experience resolving technical claim items.
- Preferred skills:
- Demonstrated experience executing “EPC” construction projects.
- Licensed as a Professional Engineer (PE).
- Capability with AutoCad, SAP, Risa-3D or similar software.
- Experience in Design/Build EPC projects.
- Experience in Department of Energy site operations or projects.
- Experience organizing and chairing meetings with diverse parties.
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated experience in managing the technical elements of subcontractor to include, but not limited to: pay item schedules, progress payments, percent complete and certified payrolls.
- Certification as PMI Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Demonstrated technical proficiency working with multidiscipline construction contracts and subcontractors.
Please Contact me to discuss the hiring process!
Sr. Executive Recruiter
Contact: (310) 929-8421 Ext: 104
Hi! My name is Sumit Gupta. I treat all my consultants in a manner that they feel comfortable while working with me on any position they are applying for. Although, the motive is to find the best match for my consultants. But I make sure that I suggest them the right job matching their profile and work history by interacting with them in detail and follow-up with them at each and every level of the hiring process.